Junagarh Fort of Bikaner / Beauty and Glorious History
- Visitor Information
- Best Time to Visit
- Architectural Layout
- External links
Bikaner is famous for its food and history as well, and when it comes to history, everyone thinks about King Maharajas and forts. And why not come because everyone likes to see his legacy today. Junagarh Fort of Bikaner is also known for its beauty and glorious history. People from all over the world come here to see it. It is one of the few forts that is built on a flat place, not on a mountain top. But the king dug a deep moat around it so that no one could attack the fort.
Visitor Information Junagarh Fort of Bikaner
Timings: 10:00 AM to 04.30 PM
Indian: INR 50
Foreigners: INR 300
Best Time to Visit Junagarh Fort Of Bikaner
Winter is the best time to visit Bikaner. Because Bikaner is in the desert, due to this, the temperature in the summer is high. I am saying this from my experience. best places to visit in India during December.
History (Junagarh Fort of Bikaner)
Junagarh Fort of Bikaner was built by Maharaja Rai Singh. Its work began in 1589 and ended in 1594. Hindu and Mughal workmanship has been used in this fort. This fort is surrounded by corridors and balconies which is worth seeing. Apart from this, there are many palaces in this fort that are built by different kings in different centuries. Which is really worth watching.
Junagarh Fort of Bikaner is the second fort of Bikaner which is made out of the old city. The first fort was built by Rao Bika which is near the temple of Laxmi Nathji in the old city.
Architectural layout (Junagarh Fort of Bikaner)
Junagarh Fort of Bikaner is such that it has been made a strong fort as well as a center of beauty. Where Mughal and Hindu art has been fully utilized.
Junagarh fort complex has two entrances and has a total of 986 long walls that have 37 bastions. There are a total of 37 palaces, along with a number of pavilions and temples. One of the highlights of the architecture of Junagarh fort is its stone carving with excellent quality. The number of rooms of the palace has paintings and decorations that were done in traditional style.
The fort has 7 gates. Of these, Suraj Paul and Daulat Paul are the main gates. Suraj Paul is in the east which is called the Gate of the Sun and Daulat Paul is a persecutor for his history where the women of the fort have the impressions of their hands when she left for Johar. Along with this, there are inner gates like Chand Paul, Karan Paul, Fateh Paul.
Palaces in Junagarh Fort of Bikaner
- Karan Mahal, It is considered as one of the most exquisite palaces built with gardens, which displays the aesthetic sensibilities of the royalty of Rajasthan. It has glass windows built-in pillars made of stone and wood and intricately carved balconies that look like a miracle.
- The Phool Mahal is the oldest part of the palace.
- Anup Mahal, which functioned as the administrative headquarters of the kingdom. It has ornate wooden ceilings with inlaid mirrors, Italian tiles, and fine lattice windows and balconies. It has some gold leaf paintings.
- Chandra Mahal is the most precious palace of this fort, which has many sculptures made of gold and some special paintings.
- Ganga Mahal has a large durbar hall known as the Ganga Singh Hall that houses the Museum. The museum has exhibits of war weaponry and also a World War I airplane (biplane), which is stated to be well maintained.
- Badal Mahal is a part of Anup Mahal. In this palace, pictures have been made in honor of all the kings of Bikaner. Along with it there are pictures of Badal on its walls, due to which it is called Badal Mahal.
Temples in Junagarh Fort of Bikaner
Junagarh Fort of Bikaner has many temples such as Ganesha’s temple, Gangaur Mata’s temple and there is also a place where the king used to go with some special people. But now anyone can go here.